Thursday, December 4, 2008

Skeletons of Harryhausen


A few weeks ago I got a three dvd pack of all the Sinbad films that Ray Harryhausen created. I have fond memories of renting the videos back in the 80's and I would watch them over the school holidays.

Harryhausen movies were wonderful movies to me, I remember seeing Clash of the Titans again and my brother complained that I had already seen it. But I loved that film so much and still do. I remember watching the first 10 minutes of 'Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger' only to have the tape self-destruct inside the machine I hated when that happened. So I have been reliving my childhood memories of seeing these films again after so long. I guess this was back when I loved these movies and wanted to work in animation moving battling skeletons to fight men so they can stab them.

My favourite of course was 'Jason and the Argonauts' which I have watched again after so many years. I really fell in love with the Figure Head of Hera on the Argo and that Jason would talk to while her eyes would open and look around. When those skeletons come out of the ground it always freaked me out how they wobbled and were so fast moving. I love how jason and his men try to stab them in the ribs expecting them to die what a stupid thing to thing to think, yeah that will work!!

Dreamworks Tried to recapture the Harryhausen magic with their Sinbad movie but it didn't quite work and if I remember correctly this was final nail in the coffin for traditional animation.
I only got the dvd to this because Rodolphe Guenoden worked on it and he was featured in the extras. Rod is one of the nicest animators around.

So next up is 'Mysterious Island' which is on my queue to see, I think I remember a giant Bee in that one.

Words getting out about the upcoming comic and people wanting to see it. I'm reluctant to share but I guess you will see it eventually now won't you.
Also be sure to pre-order your copy of Perhapanauts #6 due in January 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always Monitored.