Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Creating The Madness of Mad Monster Parties!

Ever Wondered how my mind ever got so warped into becoming one of the most Under-Rated Art Talents of our age? I bet you think about it three or more times a day! Well heres a small glimpse into what Molded me into wishing to become something Greater!!
Around 1984 I rented a Video (you know the thing with Magnetic Tape) of the Fraggle Rock singalong. The Most interesting thing on it however was a Trailer to a Movie entitled 'Mad Monster Party' which had puppet versions of all the famous movie monsters in one of my favorite types of Animation, Stop-Motion.

This was just the beginning of my search for this movie!

A little time later I was in the video store and found a Copy I was so overjoyed........wait..... Crap it's in BETA format!! I got my mum to ask for a VHS copy to no avail they just had BETA So I left in a Saddened State.

Christmas 1985, my parents, a couple of siblings and I went on a trip around Australia by car. It was alot of fun and we stopped in a few states. One such stop was in Adelaide at a very Lovely Hotel where there was a great pool and it was brilliant compared to the caravan parks we had been stopping to sleep. So for some reason we were stuck indoors and I turned the TV on to see if there was anything interesting....... It was Midway through Mad Monster Party!! So from the scene Yetch is in the Kitchen I was Hooked....... My siblings tried to change the channel but I held fast. When it was Over I wondered about the first half I had missed but as there was no repeats in them days I had to wait just awhile longer.

In June of 1986 on a Friday Night to a Visit to KMart. I noticed a Huge new stock of Tapes, Phantom Tollbooth, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.........and mmmmmMad Monster Party!!!
I ran to my mother with Video in Hand 'Mum I need this, you buy it and I shall never ask for another single thing in my entire childhood please'...... She Bought it! But I did Lie sadly. That Saturday Morning though my mum went and out and left me at 11 years of age to watch the movie I had always wanted to see in its ENTIRETY!! I can say unashamedly I watched it over and over and over and over again that day. When my friends came over we watched it, when we were being babysat we watched it. That Tape got well and truly WORN OUT!! I Still have it to this day in its original cardboard cover slip. And My love never ran out for this Film. I later bought a second VHS copy I found some years later and own the CD soundtrack!

I was never a Fan of the Original VHS Coverart it just never seemed right, The characters look nothing like their Puppet Counterparts and it seemed more than just kid friendly and simple. Unfortunately they never got much better when released to DvD and the second VHS copy I owned only had a photo of the frankenstein monster taken from the film.
The Early DVD cover Design looks Badly Photoshopped, probably because it is!! The eyes of Baron Frankenstein have actually been Traced with the Black PaintBrush tool to 'Exentuate' them. But is Terribly done and you can see the wobble in the line work. This is the version that I own.

The Second DvD release was an Improvement over the Previous however I'm not the biggest fan of the Floating heads Motif and it looks a little boring for a kid to go and say I WANNA SEE THIS!!

So I guess your wondering why I have brought this all up? I Discovered Last week that a New Deluxe DvD will be coming out in North America. It should be also said that the previous two releases of this DvD have NEVER seen release in Australia. And most likely they won't ever be and I very much doubt this newer one will be either.

However because of my LOVE for this film I have been contacting those who are intimately involved in its creation of the Deluxe and I have put my Idea Forward that I believe I can do one of the Best cover's that this release has ever seen and what everybody will be happy with!!

They like my artwork but something tells me this will need an extra push especially for a Large Company such as 'Lionsgate' who are releasing this current Issue. I think we may need a Petition and backing from all you my friends as we need to make this happen.....or we will get another Lacklustre Cover that will end in more Tears for Years to come!!

Damn if they can get Darwyn Cooke to do a Cover for a Karloff Collection then You can have ME do Mad Monster Party DvD! I WAS BORN TO DO IT, LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always Monitored.